Union Theological Seminary Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Federal Aid


Only applicants and students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens are eligible for federal aid. To receive such aid, both new and continuing students must complete two forms. The first is a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The form is available after January 1. Prior to the disbursement of any loan funds, loan borrowers must complete Federal Loan Entrance Counseling and must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for each type of federal loan to be borrowed. Visit http://studentloans.gov to complete Federal Loan Entrance Counseling. You must also complete a Union Financial Aid Form annually. It is available on the website.

If you graduate, drop below half-time status (6 credits) or withdraw from Union, you are required to complete Federal Loan Exit Counseling. Visit http://studentloans.gov to complete Federal Loan Exit Counseling. Students who do not complete Exit Counseling may have their diploma and transcripts placed on hold.

If you are in default on a federal educational loan you are ineligible for Federal financial aid. However, you can attempt to have your eligibility reinstated by making satisfactory repayment arrangements with your loan servicer.

The amount of federal aid that may be available to you depends on the annual evaluation of your financial need via the required financial aid forms. You must also maintain at least half-time enrollment (6 credits) and make satisfactory progress toward the completion of your degree requirements. Federal regulations mandating standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Federal Title IV financial aid eligibility were established to ensure financial aid recipients’ progress toward degree completion using both qualitative and quantitative methods. You must meet or exceed SAP standards in order to be eligible for Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan, and the Federal Grad PLUS Loan. To learn more about the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), please see the 2012-13 Student Handbook, pp. 25 – 31.

If you have been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance, you are ineligible to receive any federal Title IV grant, loan, or work assistance for anywhere from 1 year to indefinitely from the date of conviction. For more information about drug conviction ineligibility for Federal financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

©Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, NY 10027 | Tel: (212) 662-7100