Union Theological Seminary Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Forms of Financial Aid

New students who require financial aid are in good company at Union. In recent years, approximately 85% of Union students received some form of aid toward tuition and living expenses.

Union offers both need-based and non-need-based aid federal and institutional aid to new and continuing students. “Need” for financial aid purposes is defined as the difference between the total cost of yearly attendance at Union and the student’s contribution or other financial resources such as outside grants.

Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. This includes grants, loans, and work-study employment. Union also offers non-need based aid in the form of First Degree merit scholarships and Advanced Degree Fellowships.

First Degree students who qualify are eligible for all need and non-need based aid except fellowships which are awarded to doctoral students and S.T.M. candidates. Non-Degree students are not eligible for any of the financial aid Union offers.

Here are some general guidelines about eligibility for the various forms of financial aid Union offers:

      • Students must be fully matriculated and in full-time attendance to be eligible for institutional aid in the forms of Union Grants, scholarships or fellowships. Part-time students who are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) may qualify for federal aid but will not qualify for Union grants or scholarships. 
      • Students who are not U.S. citizens and permanent residents are considered for most institutional aid, but are not eligible for the Union Loan or federal aid. 
      • Students who are currently in default on federal loans are also not eligible to receive institutional aid. Students in this category should approach the Financial Aid Office when repayment responsibilities have been met.
      • All students, both new and continuing, who wish to receive financial aid must file both the Union Financial Aid Form and the FAFSA after January 1 but before May 15. Students in good academic standing who reapply by the deadlines may expect their Union grant or scholarship to be renewed.

©Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, NY 10027 | Tel: (212) 662-7100