Union Theological Seminary Student Life

Student Affairs

Off Campus Housing

Below we have provided several sources to help you begin your search for local, safe and affordable off-campus housing. The 2009-2010 Student Senate Co-Chairs have worked with Dean Wilson in the Office of Student Life to gather some of these resources for incoming students as well as graduating students who will remain in the New York metropolitan area, in order to help locate some starting points for your off-campus housing search. We realize that the search might seem daunting, especially for people new to New York City, those graduating who have lived on campus or if finances are limited. But we want you to know that it is possible and enjoyable to live off-campus.

We look forward to welcoming you on campus, supporting you if you are a current on-campus student about to graduate, with information that will assist you in your search for and consideration of off-campus housing!

Pre-Search Tools and NYC Resources

NYC Subway System Map 

NYC Neighborhood Maps: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx

Myfirstapartment.com (Check out the low down on moving to NYC)

NYC Guide to Tenants Rights

Independent Long-Term Housing and Search Engines and Resources



The Ultimate Guide to Living Off-Campus

Places for Students

Communal Long-Term Housing

International House – Long-term Resident Housing. Dormitory, Studio and Apartments availability.

De Hirsch Residence – Part of the 92nd Street YMHA-YWHA.

Penington Friends House – Long-term Resident Housing.

The Brandon Residence for Women – Long-term Resident Housing.

The Webster Apartments – Long-term Resident Housing for women.

Short-Term Housing

Helpful hints if you need an in-between housing arrangement or for family and friends who come to visit!

Landmark Guest Rooms – On-Campus Short-term Housing. Single, Double Twin, Double occupancy rooms available. Rates begin at $135/night.

International House – Short Term Guest Housing. Single ($130), Double ($150), Triple ($180) and Quadruple ($195) occupancy rooms. Maximum of 20 nights.

Hosteling International – New York City

Central Park Hostel

West End Studios

Finding a Broker

In addition to the resources above, you may retain a real estate broker to find a suitable apartment. New York State licenses real estate brokers and salespersons. Brokers charge a commission for their services which is usually a stated percentage of the first year’s rent. The amount of the commission is not set by law and should be negotiated between the parties. The broker must assist the client in finding and obtaining an apartment before a commission may be charged. The fee should not be paid until the client is offered a lease signed by the landlord. The broker may also charge the client a reasonable amount to conduct a credit check.

©Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, NY 10027 | Tel: (212) 662-7100