Stay in Touch!

Get our newsletter for all the latest from Union:

How to Apply

  1. Spring 2017 applications for the Master of Sacred Theology and Non Degree and Fall 2017 Applications for all programs have launched.
    Apply to Union Theological Seminary

Statement of Non-Discrimination

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 3.19.47 PM

Union Theological Seminary admits students regardless of race, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or disability, to all the rights, privileges, and programs generally accorded to students at the Seminary.  It does not discriminate on the basis of any of these distinctions in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or other programs administered by the Seminary.


A student is eligible to apply for Union’s First Degree Programs, Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Divinity (M.Div.), if they have a B.A. degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university, and a record of high achievement.  Prior study in the field of religion is not required, but strong preparation in liberal arts studies is expected.

Applicants to Union’s Advanced Degree Programs, Master of Sacred Theology (S.T.M.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), must also have completed, or must be in the process of completing, the M.Div. or the M.A. degree (or its equivalent as determined at the time of application) with distinction in an accredited seminary or will have completed at least 2 years of distinguished graduate studies in religion and obtained a very thorough grounding in biblical, theological and historical subjects.

Applicants to Union’s new D.Min. Program in Supervisory Clinical Spiritual Care Education must have (1) completed the M.Div. at an ATS-accredited seminary or its equivalent from an institution of higher education that is accredited by a US agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or approved by a Canadian provincial quality assurance agency (or by a comparable international accrediting organization); and 2) be enrolled as a supervisory education student in an accredited Supervisory Clinical Pastoral Education Program at the time of application to the D.Min. program.

Students from the United States who do not have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, or who come from an unaccredited institution, should write to the Associate Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid at the Seminary concerning eligibility for admission. All students from outside the United States should contact the Associate Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid in sufficient time to determine eligibility and to complete the application process.

General Application Procedures

Each degree program at Union has different application requirements. However, generally, a completed Application for Admissions includes the following items:


1. Online Application Form. (please contact the Office of Admissions if you need a hard-copy)

2. Personal Statement (this may be uploaded as a PDF or Word Document during the online application process):

Master of Arts Personal Statement

Master of Divinity Personal Statement

Master of Sacred Theology Personal Statement

Doctor of Philosophy Personal Statement

Non-Degree Personal Statement

3. Official copies of all transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended must be sent directly from the Registrar to the Office of Admissions, Union Theological Seminary.

If the institution does not provide an English translation, please obtain a notarized English translation.

Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded as a PDF document during the online application process.  However, prior to official enrollment official transcripts must be sent directly from the degree-granting institution to the Seminary.

4. Résumé
(this should be uploaded as a PDF or Word Document during the online application process)

Your résumé should include extracurricular and/or vocational activities, church or campus ministry activities in which you participated, jobs you have held starting with the most recent. Military experience, time rearing children and volunteer work should also be included when applicable.

5. Recommendation Letters.

Submit recommendations from faculty members, professional persons, members of the clergy, and Union alumni/ae who are familiar with your academic background, discernment process, and vocational aspirations.  Preferably at least one of the recommendations will be written by a former professor.

Click the following form to send to the person recommending you and have them follow the recommendation procedures below.

Recommendation Form: 

Ph.D. Recommendation Form
M.A. Recommendation Form
M.Div. Recommendation Form
S.T.M. Recommendation Form
D.Min. Recommendation Form

Non-Degree Recommendation Form

Recommendation Procedures: 

There are three ways recommenders may submit recommendations.

Email. Use the following address. Have the recommender indicate in the subject line “Recommendation for Applicant [Applicant’s full name as it appears on the application]”

Fax. Send to 212-858-5788

Post. Paper recommendation forms should be sealed and must bear recommender’s signature across the envelope back flap. They should be mailed by application deadline to:

Office of Admissions
Union Theological Seminary
3041 Broadway
New York, NY 10027

6. Test Scores.

Applicants to the Ph.D. program are required to submit official scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test. Scores more than five years old are unacceptable.

Applicants to all degree programs who matriculated from institutions where the medium of instruction was not English may need to fulfill additional application requirements, including the TOEFL.

Union will retain the credentials of non-matriculants and applicants not admitted for one year. After that period, all materials are destroyed.

Union’s ETS school code is 2922.

7. Transfer Policy

Students who have earned prior graduate school credits from accredited theological school may seek admission with advanced standing to the Master of Divinity or Master of Arts degree programs.  To request that a transfer of credits be applied, please follow these procedures at the time of application.  (insert hyperlink to degree programs page here).  Prior graduate school credits are not accepted for the Master of Sacred Theology or Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Click here to view Union’s transfer credit policy.

Ready to Apply?

Apply to Union Theological Seminary