On October 3, 2018, Episcopal Divinity School at Union joined with Everytown for Gun Safety, Bishops United Against Gun Violence, and the Episcopal Peace Fellowship for an Interfaith Vigil Against Gun Violence in commemoration of the one-year anniversary of the largest mass shooting in the United States. A recording of the event is available here and a special podcast interview with Bishops Mark Beckwith, Marian Budde, and Ian Douglas is now posted on EDS at Union Now (available on iTunes, Spotify, and other places where you get podcasts).
In reviewing these partner organization pages, EDS at Union wishes to highlight the following key resources for congregational leaders wishing to engage their communities on this issue:
- Join EPF and indicate your interest in being a part of the Gun Violence Prevention Action Group
- Review the following messaging recommendations from EPF Gun Violence Prevention Action Group Member, Virginia Classick, for engaging congregations. “Resist the false dichotomy of ‘pro-gun/anti-gun.’”
- Pledge your congregation’s participation in the Annual Gun Violence Prevention Sabbath, held each year near the anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting.
From Everytown for Gun Safety:
- Use this tool to register to vote and get your friends to do so as well!
- Stay connected – Join Everytown’s mobile list of gun sense activists
- Check out Everytown’s list of Seven Actions You Can Take to Prevent Gun Violence
- Liturgical Resources – A collection of bulletins and liturgies demonstrating how a congregation can give witness through worship
- Check the Roster – Confirm that your bishops is a member of Bishops United Against Gun Violence and ask her or him how you can work together on this issue in your state
For questions about these resources, please contact email@example.com.