As part of our ongoing “Faculty on the Road” initiative—where Union faculty members offer to meet with alums whenever and wherever they travel—we are delighted to let you know that our distinguished Christiane Brooks Johnson Professor of Psychology & Religion, the Rev. Dr. Pamela Cooper-White, will be in Vienna for part of the summer of 2019. Thanks to the efforts and initiative of our Austria-based alum, Petra Teissl ’16, we are in the process of building an expanded program around Dr. Cooper-White’s presence in Vienna.
First and most importantly:
If you think you might be able to join us in Vienna from 31 May—3 June 2019, please email Emily Odom at email@example.com with your name, your preliminary acceptance, and the probable number in your party by Friday, 30 November 2018.
Petra has reserved a block of rooms at the Pallottihaus, a retreat house with an inner courtyard, not far from the town center. A single room is € 68 per person per night, including breakfast.
Possible program highlights:
- A conventional walking tour guided by Viennese locals, lasting 2 – 2 1/2 hours, covering all the major sights (tentatively scheduled for Friday, depending upon guests’ respective arrival times);
- Shades Tour—special Vienna 2-hour tours guided by formerly homeless people (possible for Saturday, € 18/person);
- Tour of Vienna’s 100-year Jewish history/heritage. (approximately 2 hours and about €18 – 20 per person);
- Tour of Klosterneuburg Monastery, one of Austria’s most important religious and cultural centers for over 900 years;
- For lunch or dinner, we could go to the Indigo in the city center (Jesuit project – international food prepared by people affected by long-term unemployment) or to some traditional Heurigen;
- Closing worship on Sunday, whether conducted by our own group in one of the meeting rooms at Pallottihaus or at an area church.
Partners, spouses, and/or other family members are also welcome to attend.
We look forward to this opportunity to gather alums for community building, cultural enrichment, and academic and spiritual growth in one of the world’s most exciting cities. Please email Emily Odom on or before Friday, 30 November 2018 indicating your interest and intention to participate. We hope to see you in Vienna in 2019!