Application Deadline: Friday, June 18
EDS at Union is piloting an online, two-year program that brings together a cohort of lifelong learners for conferences, book discussions, spiritual retreats, weekend courses, and lunchtime workshops around important themes of social justice. Intended for busy Episcopal laity and clergy who would like to gain a stronger grounding in issues of social justice today, this pilot program draws on the expertise available at EDS at Union Theological Seminary to explore issues surrounding racial justice, LGBTQ+ rights, poverty & homelessness, and the environmental crisis.
The Fall 2021 semester will be centered on racial justice:
- A summer reading list and one-day orientation and conference to discuss texts
- A fall spiritual retreat connecting the theme of racial justice and scripture
- Two Continuing Education Courses: James Cone’s The Cross and the Lynching Tree taught by Dean Kelly Brown Douglas; The Battle for the Bible: What Jesus Really Said About the Poor taught by the Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis of the Kairos Center/Poverty Initiative
- Many optional opportunities for worship, evening lectures, and lunchtime conversations with leaders across the Church.
Pilot program cost: $1,000 per student for one year and $1,500 per student for full two years* The application deadline is Friday, June 18. Applicants will be notified of their application status by Friday, June 25.
Major Dates for 2021-2022 Academic Year
|July 1, 2021||Release of racial justice reading list|
|August 7, 2021||Orientation and a one-day conference on the reading list|
|September 11, 2021||Retreat on the theme of racial justice and scripture|
|October 29-30, 2021||Two-day Continuing Education Course “On James Cone’s The Cross and the Lynching Tree” taught by Dean Kelly Brown Douglas|
|November 12-13, 2021||Two-day course “The Battle for the Bible: What Jesus Really Said About The Poor” taught by the Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis, Kairos Center|
|December 1, 2021||Release of race & LGBTQ+ reading list|
|January 8, 2022||Regathering and one-day conference on the reading list|
|February 5, 2022||Retreat on the theme of race & LGBTQ+ voices|
|March 4-5, 2022||Two-day course “On Audre Lorde’s Sister Outsider” taught by Dean Kelly Brown Douglas|
|March 25-26, 2022||Two-day course on “Gospel of Luke” taught by Dr. Jeremy Hultin with a special focus on themes of “good news for the poor.”|
|May 7, 2022||End of year reflection and ceremony|
* This is a significantly reduced amount as students will be piloting the program and expected to offer a thorough evaluation on an ongoing basis. Subsequent years will be at a higher cost. This pilot will require at least 15 students to register to move forward.
Please note that this is a non-certificate program. If you would like Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to register with your diocese, EDS at Union can provide a letter confirming participation in this program to the appropriate diocesan contact.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.